Stretch marks also known as striae, are a common nuisance as they are clearly visible as pale stripes lying on the skin. While stretch marks are common in pregnancy, they can also occur in people who are building muscles or those that are experiencing hormonal changes.Clinical studies have shown that susceptibility to stretch marks has a lot to do with genetics. If your mother suffered from stretch marks during her pregnancy, chances are you will to get them. The good news, however, is that these marks will fade away by themselves. In some cases they won’t go away without your intervention. Clinical studies have shown that it’s possible to prevent stretch marks from occurring and to decrease their appearance once they form. In this article, we will give you ten ways to remove stretch marks naturally.
Stretch marks are visible lines on the skin surface, with an off-color hue. Stretch marks are mainly found in the abdominal wall, but can also occur over the thighs, upper arms, buttocks and breasts.Sometimes stretch marks can cover large areas of the body. While pregnancy is the main cause behind stretch marks, other reasons can be sudden gain or loss in weight, rapid growth, heredity factors,stress and changes in physical conditions.
The skin consists of three main layers: Epidermis (the outer layer), Dermis (the middle layer) and Subcutaneous or Hypodermic (the deepest layer). Stretch marks form in the dermis or middle layer of the skin when the connective tissue is “stretched” beyond the power of its flexibility due to rapid expansion or contraction of the skin.As skin is stretched, the collagen is weakened and its normal production cycle is interrupted and damaged. This ultimately results in fine scars under the top layer of the skin. Initially the marks look pink or red, but over time a thin, silvery line appears on the skin surface and a stretch mark is born.Stretch marks appear on the skin surface when someone grows quickly, or puts on weight quickly.
Stretch marks can make you feel self-conscious and uncomfortable about your appearance. Fortunately, there are several natural ways to reduce the appearance of stretch marks.
1.Essential Oils To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Essential oil is singled out as one of the most effective remedies for stretch marks. It helps in improving blood circulation in your body and ensures your skin receives energy and oxygen which plays a crucially important role in keeping your skin healthy and getting rid of the stretch marks. Massage it onto the affected parts a few times a day. Other natural procedures such as scrubbing and exfoliation are also effective in making the marks less noticeable.Castor oil, which is used in the treatment of a number of skin problems such as wrinkles, age spots, moles, dark spots, fine lines and pimples, can also be used to get rid of stretch marks.
- Apply some castor oil to the stretch marks and gently massage the area in circular motions for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Wrap the area with a thin, cotton cloth. Using a hot water bottle or a heating pad, apply some heat to the affected area for at least a half an hour.Repeat this process daily for a minimum of one month to notice positive results.
2.Egg whites To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- If you think eggs are only for bodybuilders, well not any longer. Eggs are high in protein and according to clinical studies protein are excellent in dealing with stubborn stretch marks. To do this, remove the white part from the egg, slightly batter the egg white using a fork and apply a substantial amount of egg white onto affected areas of your skin. Leave it dry and rinse it with water. Then, moisturize the area with olive oil. Do this at least thrice a day.Eggs are a rich source of protein. For stretch marks, you want to use only the egg whites, which contain amino acids and proteins.
- Whip the whites of two eggs gently with a fork. Clean the affected skin area with water and then apply a thick layer of egg whites with a makeup brush.
- Allow the egg whites to dry completely and then rinse the area with cold water.
- Finally apply some olive oil on the skin to keep it moisturized.
- Repeat the process daily for at least two weeks and watch for positive results.
3. Lemon Guice To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- Lemon juice is an effective remedy for stretch marks thanks to its acidic nature as well as natural bleaching properties. It can reduce the redness of the scars and make them less visible. Cut a fresh lemon and squeeze the juice and massage it onto the affected areas. Leave it on the skin for 10-15 minutes, before rinsing with warm water. Repeat the lemon remedy every day until the stretch marks are completely lightened.Another simple way to lessen stretch marks is to use lemon juice. Lemon juice is naturally acidic which helps heal and reduce stretch marks, acne, and other scars.
- Rub fresh lemon juice gently onto the stretch marks using circular motions. Allow the lemon juice to soak into your skin for at least 10 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water.
- Another option is to mix equal quantities of cucumber juice and lemon juice and apply the mixture on the stretch marks.
4. Sugar To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- White sugar is among the most effective and gentle ways you can get stretch marks off your body. It contains essential fatty acids which help to get rid of stretch marks. It also increases the blood flow to the affected parts. Simply blend one tablespoon of sugar, a few drops of lemon juice and almond oil. Apply onto the stretch marks and rub it for 10-15 minutes, prior to rinsing with water. Repeat this method every month or until the stretch marks fade out.Natural white sugar is one of the best natural remedies to get rid of stretch marks. You can use the sugar to exfoliate your skin.
- Mix a tablespoon of raw sugar with some almond oil and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix it well and apply it on the stretch marks and other skin areas.
- Gently rub the mixture on the skin for a few minutes every day before taking a shower.
- Do this for a month or so and watch your stretch marks become lighter.
5. Water To Get Rid Of Stretch Marks
- The best way to reduce the effects of stretch marks is to tackle them from the inside. If you take 8-10 glasses of water daily, you will reduce the effects of the stretch marks. In simple terms, the prominence of stretch marks on the skin will diminish. In addition to drinking plenty of water, a well-balanced diet will also help restore the lost elasticity of your skin and make those unwanted stretch marks disappear.Keeping your body well hydrated helps protect the skin from many kinds of problems and also aids in detoxification. It also helps keep the skin supple and restores elasticity.Try to drink one to two glasses of water several times during a day. Experts say drinking 8 to 10 glasses of water per day is the best way to keep the body hydrated.It will also make your skin soft and help maintain its elasticity.
These natural remedies can help stretch marks fade, but they may not completely remove them. You can always see your doctor if you are greatly concerned about the appearance of stretch marks on your skin.