The best way to succeed in business is to be in business. The truth of the matter is that until you have started, you won’t know what works. You may have to adapt and change to make the business work but, you can only do that if you are actually in business. Not just sitting there thinking about it.
Well-chosen goals and objectives point a new business in the right direction and keep an established company on the right track. Make goals challenging, but consider your resources so that you can actually achieve them reasonably.
Here are seven goal-setting steps that will help you start your own business;
• First, you must write your goals down. Otherwise, they are simply New Year’s resolutions, which are soon forgotten.
• Next, be as specific as you can when writing goals. Instead of, “I want to raise my company profile in the community,” write, “I will volunteer my company’s resources once a month to a specific community organization.”
• Express goals in positive words. Don’t think about driving the competition out of business; think about how your product or service can fulfill an unmet need.
• Make sure the goals you choose are yours and not someone else’s.
• Put time limits on your goals. How else can you hold yourself accountable?
• Give yourself a score at the end of your timeframe. If you didn’t succeed, do you want to keep trying for this goal or do you need to make some alterations?
• And finally, set goals in all areas of your life. You need to stay balanced to be truly happy. Your emotional and physical health is as important as your financial health.